Friday, September 4, 2009

Arrival at AC

It’s been awhile since my last post, and so much has happened! This is going to be a long one…

First off, we finished up our family trip with a visit to the city of Bath to see the roman baths (truly amazing) and then a quick stop at stone henge before we headed off to UWC Atlantic College.

Arriving at AC (Atlantic College) was really exciting. Our car was greeted by screaming 2nd years in face paint banging pots and pans and my housemates shouting “Powys, united will never be defeated!” a thousand times over. My first day was just a whirlwind of events. I greeted the other first years coming on buses, and spent tons of time getting to know the other students in Powys (One of seven dormitories on campus) by playing all sorts of silly games. I also got to meet my roommates who are just lovely girls. I’ve spent a fair amount of time with my malyasian co-year (Nicole) who is a real sweetheart and I have no complaints.

The second day started out with a really scary ordeal: communal showers. It’s my first morning at my new home and I go to take a shower then realize that it is just a room with shower heads. No privacy at all. So I just had to suck it up and get over it if I wanted to be clean. Then the rest of the day was all sorts of castle orientation, swimming test, math test, and lots of lectures. Oh yeah, it poured buckets the entire time. I finally unpacked into my new tiny space, but I really like it. I promise I’ll put up a picture soon. Also that evening was the American national meeting, where all the Americans go and meet one another and talk. It was a real blast, because the Americans here at AC are a real crack up, but also incredibly smart. They had a debate and while it was really fascinating, it was also a bit intimidating. But overall a really great day besides the rain.

Yesterday was my third day here at AC. We have been hearing about all of the different classes you can take and all that jazz. It was a real problem choosing codes (classes) because they cancelled the Spanish class I was going to take so everything got mixed up but this is what I ended up with:
Higher Level:
English
History-West Asia
Design Technology
Standard Level:
Math Studies
Political Thought
Beginning French


The food here isn’t as horrible as everyone told me it would be. I have been finding all sorts of things to eat, and I always grab some extra fruit. Also, I am learning to really love my house, Powys. It is know to have the most spirit and be the most united house and so far all of that seems very true. It still shocks me at how friendly and welcoming everybody is. Oh, and apparently I pick up on accents really quick and I already am saying ‘sorry’ differently. So that’s a bit funny. Oh, and last night two of my dorm mates made sushi to share and we went to my houseparents house to eat more food and just hang out. A very good night..

I will try to post again soon, but induction period is just really crazy because there is so much to do and there is so much going on! And Monday I will head off to camp for a couple days. I’ve already started to notice that AC has a really friendly feel to it and even though it’s only been a couple days I already feel like this really is the place for me.

For all of you at home, I hope that you got your schedules figured out and that school starts out great for you all. I miss being able to share the little pieces of my day with you.

5 comments:

  1. Beginning French! Ooo yayy I'm excited for you. Sounds like an amazing time! and Oh my communal showers... that'll be interesting ;)
    Love you, Miss you, and Adore your blog!

    -Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah i am quite jealous! and sounds like you are having better luck acquiring a british accent than me...

    keep updating, please!

    evan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you like crazy it all sounds so exciting! well except the communal showers! Miss you girly cannot wait to hear more!

    xoxo,

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, great update...lots of news. We are waiting around at Heathrow to fly to Iceland on our way home. Back in Corn-Valley Monday night. Have a blast camping !! You could probably use that Nalgene that you lost....

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your blog, keep it up to date

    ReplyDelete