Monday, September 7, 2009

Off to Camp

Once again, these last couple of days have been amazing. This weekend we had service induction where we got to try out all of the services. We got to go out on the life boats (i got to drive one!) with the ILB service, we got to chop wood with the estate service, swim with the lifegaurds, archery with the EMC, sing with social service and it goes on and on. My favorite service at the moment is MEMS (Marine Environemental Monitoring Service) and this service not only gets certified as rescue level divers, but they also are wokring on cleaning up beaches, starting a lobster hatchery, and all sorts of environmental things. I will find out next monday which service I am in.
(For those of you who don't know, as a part of the Atlantic College program you have to choose one of 11 services that you do every week for the next two years)

As a part of induction, we had to pass a swimming test where you would either achieve a gold, silver, or broze depending on your abibility. I achived a silver, and I am still sore.

Today is my roomate, Nicole form Malyasia's birthday, and we really helped her turn 18! At midnight we tied her up, carried her into the showers while singing happy birthday, and then showered her with her clothes on. After which we fed her cake. What a way to turn 18!

In addition to all this, we have been playing so many games to get really comfortable with eachother. I feel amazingly close to the people in my house and its just a lot of fun. We played this wrestling game and got grass stains on all of our pants and my house, Powys, hosted a 'posh' that included lots of music, dancing, and a blacklight. It was a real blast.

Today we got to hear about of a the global concern activities in the college and how we can make a difference. All and all, pretty inspiring and I would like to join all of them from volunteering with amnesty international to raisign money for people in vietnam who suffer from effects of agent organge. I am really looking forward to all of the interesting debates that we are going to have

I leave this afternoon for camp, and wont return until friday. At camp we don't get to shower, and we live in cold wet tents with our co-years. It should be really fun and really bonding. Wish me luck at camp!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recap of recent adventures. MEMS sounds really cool...can´t wait to hear more. Have fun at camp...stay dry!

    ReplyDelete